RISE AND SHINE KAUT 43
Lucas requested ideas for “Stuffed Tomatoes”, and what a perfect time and idea for that. By now a lot of our gardens are slowing down, or we’re slowing them down, and need to use up the last of summer tomatoes. Also we’re on the tail end of those perfectly delicious summer tomatoes from the grocery store, so let’s utilize this time to stuff them!
We’re doing two kinds today WITH one of them using my homemade Ricotta recipe. One is an adaptation from fellow Okie The Pioneer Woman and perfect for upcoming holiday party season, and the other is a simple fun idea for using Chicken Salad.
ROASTED RICOTTA STUFFED TOMATOES
8 whole Roma Tomatoes, Halved and scooped
1 bunch Fresh Italian Parsley
1 bunch Fresh Basil
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
1-1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese (I used my homemade or you can also use store bought)
Panko style bread crumbs
In The Kitchen With Scotty’s “Soul-Licious” Seasoning
- If you are making my homemade Ricotta, get started on that. Set aside to cool and drip.
- Wash, halve, and scoop your Roma tomatoes. Discard the inside (or save if you make your own tomato sauce). Sprinkle the inside of your tomato with Kosher salt, and lay face down on paper towels to catch the excess moisture.
- Smash and mince your garlic… then mince your herbs. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of ricotta cheese and place in a bowl with the garlic and fresh herbs. Add a good pinch or two of my Soul-Licious Seasoning, and mix everything completely. Taste for additional seasoning.
- Start spooning in a fairly generous amount of the ricotta mixture into your tomatoes.
- Press the stuffed tomatoes face down in a shallow dish of the Panko crumbs. This will brown in the oven and remain crunchy. Texture Texture Texture!
- Place the tomatoes on a sheet pan/cookie sheet in a 400 degree standard oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool down a bit before serving. Perfect as an appetizer or a side to any meal.
CHICKEN SALAD STUFFED TOMATOES
2 or 3 large tomatoes hollowed out
2 cups shredded chicken
1 avocado, cubed
1 tablespoon In The Kitchen With Scotty’s “The Roast Beast” seasoning (or salt and pepper to taste)
1 fresh lime, Squeezed of it’s juice
1/4 cup good quality mayo
1/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
toasted slivered almonds or chopped pistachio
- Wash and open up the top of your large tomatoes like you would a Jack-O-Lantern. Scoop out the goods inside. Sprinkle the inside with kosher salt, flip over, and let drip.
- While all that is happening, start your chicken salad. Place all the ingredients in a bowl, and fold together completely. Refrigerate until ready to stuff and serve.
- Before you’re ready to serve or to transport, Fill the inside of your tomatoes mounding off the top. Garnish with a little extra nuts, or chopped parsley.