Recipe and Blue Ribbon Winner: Aeriel Akers
Congratulations to Aeriel Akers and her first place finish in the Six-Twelve "Cake Off" held last Saturday 3/26/16. Aeriel's chocolate ganache cake with mint buttercream frosting was the judges favorite! Perfect texture, flavor, and decorative at that.
Hope you enjoy her recipe as much as I enjoyed tasting it ... this one is a keeper! Thank-You Aeriel, and to all who entered the competition and joined in for the fun! -Scotty
1 3/4 cup AP Flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, room temp.
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup brewed coffee
3 ounces semisweet chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. You may either use three 6” or two 8” round cake pans. Line with parchment and grease.
- In a bowl, combine the hot brewed coffee and 3 oz. semisweet chocolate. Dissolve, mix well, and set aside.
- Get your dry ingredients ready. Sift and measure the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of your electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine all ingredients well.
- Get your wet ingredients ready. In another bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the wet ingredients slowly. Add the coffee and chocolate mixture next. Mix just until combined. Over mixing will create tunnels and a peaked center while under mixing will result in an uneven mixture and flat cake.
- Divide the batter into 2 or 3 pans and bake right away. Place them in the middle rack of the oven carefully spaced.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out mostly clean. Remove and cool.
- For the Ganache: In a mixing bowl, place the chocolate pieces. Heat up the heavy cream for about 2 minutes in the microwave. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate with a few drops of peppermint oil and mix well.
- Set the cakes on a wire rack with a pan underneath to catch the drips. On each cake Pour and smooth over the ganache evenly. Let drip and set.
Mint Buttercream Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
Green Food Coloring
- Beat the butter until fluffy and smooth
- Add the 4 cups sifter powdered sugar, milk, peppermint oil, and food coloring until combined and desired color and flavor.
- May add more sugar if needed.
*Add colorful decorative flowers to decorate or shaved chocolate