RISE & SHINE KAUT43 OKC
So being that this Sunday is Mother’s Day… and yes you still have time to order In The Kitchen With Scotty products… I thought I would share two sweet recipes from my sweet mother.
My Mom , Claudia, was and is known for her delicious cakes,pies, and cookies. Growing up we always had something sweet in the house, and if there was anything needed for teacher meetings, or boy scouts, or anything kid group related, my mom was always the one asked to make a special treat.
Two of her MANY delicious recipes are probably the most popular with my family and our family friends: Mom’s Coconut Cream Pie and her Mayonnaise Cake.
Now me being me, and I know my mother agrees, I have taken her recipes and added my own touch of something. Just one or two ingredients to the original recipes are all, or even how they are prepared. Her Coconut Cream Pie has the simple addition of shaved white chocolate on top, and well... I make my own pie crust. For mom’s Mayonnaise Cake, I’ve added this GREAT cocoa powder I discovered at Savory Spice Shop on Western Avenue here in Oklahoma City. It’s black as pitch in color and robust in flavor. The cocoa fat content is lower so that’s why I do a 50/50 split of regular cocoa Powder and the Black Onyx.
I hope you enjoy my Mother’s delicious treats and a very Happy Mother’s Day to all you Moms! (Love you, Mom!)
Don't forget to stop by the "SHOP" section of this website to purchase any In The Kitchen With Scotty handcrafted sauces and spice blends that you may need for this recipe. Happy Cooking, and thank-you for supporting my small business! -Scotty
MOM’S COCONUT CREAM PIE
1 CUP SUGAR
1/2 CUP CORNSTARCH
1 QT. HALF AND HALF
8 EGG YOLKS
6 TABLESPOONS BUTTER ( I use salted butter, otherwise add A light pinch of salt. This brings out the flavor more.)
2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
1 TABLESPOON COCONUT EXTRACT
2 CUPS FLAKED COCONUT, PLUS EXTRA TOASTED COCONUT TO GARNISH
1 REFRIGERATED PIE CRUST, OR TWO DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF YOUR PIE DISH
FRESH WHIPPED CREAM TO TOP
TOASTED COCONUT and WHITE CHOCOLATE CURLS TO GARNISH
1. BAKE YOUR PIE SHELL ACCORDING TO ACCOMPANYING DIRECTIONS, OR YOUR OWN PIE CRUST RECIPE. REMOVE FROM THE OVEN AND LET COOL.
2. COMBINE CORNSTARCH AND SUGAR IN A HEAVY SAUCEPAN. COMBINE EGG YOLKS AND HALF/HALF. ADD TO CORNSTARCH AND SUGAR, AND SLOWLY BRING TO A BOIL. SCRAPE DOWN SIDES OFTEN, CAREFUL NOT TO “SCRAMBLE” THE PUDDING.
3. ONCE THE PUDDING IS COOKED, STIR IN BUTTER PIECES, VANILLA, AND COCONUT EXTRACT. FOLD IN THE FLAKED COCONUT.
4. POUR AND FILL THE PRE-BAKED PIE CRUST. LET COOL, THEN REFRIGERATE. *
5. TOP WITH WHIPPED CREAM, SHAVED WHITE CHOCOLATE, AND TOASTED COCONUT BEFORE PRESENTING.
*To keep the pie shell dry and flakey, chill the pudding mixture separately in a bowl, then spoon into the pie shell.
- May be made the day before. Prepare as directed, add the fresh whipped cream before you’re ready to serve or present.
MOM’S MAYONNAISE CAKE(doubled from original recipe)
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
5 tablespoons, heaping cocoa powder
5 tablespoons “Black Onyx” cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups mayonnaise
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2 cups (16 ounces) water
- Preheat a standard over to 350 degrees. Prepare and line the bottom with parchment paper of two 9” round cake pan
2. Sift together flour, soda, cocoa. Mix together sugar, instant espresso, and mayonnaise… add flour mixture and water intermediately with the vanilla. Divide the batter between the two pans evenly.
Bake 350 degrees 9x13 pan 30-35 minutes, or in two 9” round cake pans until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting .
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter at room temp
8 ounce (1 package) cream cheese, room temp
2 T cream
4- 4. 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla