RISE AND SHINE KAUT43 OKC
I have to give a special shout out to my friend Marco Rodriguez who made and posted a dish from his native Venezuela called Tequeños, and giving me the idea for this week's Rise and Shine cooking segment. Basically, tequeños are a firm fresh cheese (Queso Fresco) wrapped in pastry and pan fried... FRIED CHEESE STICKS!
I decided to add a little Scotty flare to the mix and came up with a tomato and mango jam that is perfect as a condiment for the tequeños. Traditionally Marco says just ketchup or a white sauce. I was feeling Tomato-Mango Jam.
These make a great snack for cocktail parties, appetizers at dinner parties, or on a cloudy Sunday in OKC where no one can see you and it’s just you… the couch…. and your tequeños. I hope you enjoy!
Don't forget to stop by the "SHOP" section of this website to purchase any In The Kitchen With Scotty handcrafted sauces and spice blends that you may need for this recipe. Happy Cooking, and thank-you for supporting my small business! -Scotty
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons ice cold butter
1 large egg
6 tablespoon ice water
12 ounces Queso Fresco or any firm Farmer’s Cheese cut into 1/2” x 1/2” x 2 1/2”
Grapeseed oil for frying
- In a food processor, we’re going to do the “cutting methods” again like we have in the past with pie pastry, biscuits, and any short dough. Add the three dry ingredients, and pulse a few times. Add the whole egg and cubed butter and pulse three or four more times. Add the ice water then run the processor until the mixture rolls into a ball. Remove the ball and let rest on the counter at least 30 minutes
- On a floured surface roll out the ball into a rectangular shape, about 1/8” thick. Don't worry if it’s not a perfect rectangle, you can "square" it off evenly with a knife before cutting into strips. Once squared off and even cut the dough into long strips about 3/4 inch wide.
- Take a strip of dough and starting at the top of your cheese stick begin wrapping. Wrap and overlap the dough at an angle all the way down. Cover the end of the stick and pinch the dough together sealing it up nicely. Do all the cheese sticks and set aside.
- Begin heating your grapeseed oil in a shallow fry pan. Add the tequeños in batches to not overcrowd the pan. fry until golden brown on all sides and remove to a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Keep warm until ready to serve, and serve with a side of my Spicy Tomato and Mango Jam.
Spicy Tomato & Mango Jam
1 pound cherry tomatoes halved
2 large fresh mangos peeled and cubed (about 2- 2 1/2 cups)
1 large lemon, thinly peeled skin(no white pith)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
lemon juice from the same lemon
2 tablespoons In The Kitchen With Scotty “Persian Rub”
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you really like heat)
1 cup water
- Combine the tomatoes and chunked mango in a food processor. Pulse a few times to give a nice moderate chop to the mixture. In a sauce pan begin heating the lemon juice and lemon peel together. Add the mango and tomato, along with the brown sugar, Persian Rub, and red pepper flakes. Cook over moderate heat and stir occasionally. Slow simmer about 15 minutes then add the water. Turn the heat further now to a light simmer, and stir the bottom of the pan good. Cook an additional 20-25 minutes or until the jam is soft and thickened.
- Taste for additional seasoning and add. Remove to cool and store in the fridge in an airtight container.