RISE & SHINE KAUT43 OKC
Earlier in my recipe documenting of this website, I posted the recipe for my Jezebel Carrot Cake. Good.. yes. Have I been craving other flavors in what seems to be my never-ending quest for a perfect Carrot Cake? Yes to that as well.
This experiment today with an updated… well, I wouldn't say updated… an alternate version of my carrot cake turned out really well. Like really really well.
The browned butter in this recipe along with the browned sugar lends a slightly “caramel” flavor to the cake. Combine that flavor with the floral notes from the black walnuts, and well of course, my More Than Pumpkin Pie Spice, and it is a definitive hit for any carrot cake aficionado.
Who knows where else my flavor search for the ultimate carrot cake will take me? White Chocolate?
1 cup (sticks) unsalted butter, sliced 1 tablespoon portions (follow the lines)
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs, room temp
3 cups shredded carrots
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cup All Purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 rounded teaspoon In The Kitchen With Scotty “More Than Pumpkin Pie Spice”
1 cup chopped pecan
1/2 cups black walnuts
For the Cream Cheese Icing for three layered cake
2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temp
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
1 pound confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
pinch Kosher salt
Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing in completely, before adding the next little bit. Once all and everything has mixed, set the icing aside until the cakes are cool enough to frost.
- Prepare three 9” round cake pans with baking spray and/or line the bottoms with parchment paper. In a heavy bottom pot, add the sliced butter and begin to melt over medium heat. The melting butter will snap crackle and pop while creating foam. Heat and stir until the foam subsided and the milk solids in the bottom of the pot are a deep golden brown. Smell that mouthwatering nutty aroma. Add the 1/2 cup grapeseed oil to the butter. Set the butter/oil aside to cool and begin getting your Mise (other ingredients ) ready.
- When everything is prepped and ready and the butter has cooled, add the two sugars to a mixing bowl. Begin mixing with your hand mixer or stand mixer, and slowly add one egg at a time. Be sure the egg is fully incorporated before adding another egg plus the vanilla extract. Give the bowl a good scrape top to bottom after mixing in the last egg.
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in one bowl. Mix thoroughly, then in small batches and after a complete mix with the mixer, gradually incorporate the dry mixture. Yes, I know it seems really thick, but that's okay.
- Next gently mix in the shredded carrots. As the cakes bake, the carrots will release moisture into the cake. That is why your batter is initially “thick”. Once the shredded carrots are in, fold in the pecans and black walnuts.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Using a one cup measure, evenly scoop batter into each of the three cake pans. Try and get the same amounts of batter into each pan to ensure somewhat even layers. Tap on the counter to release trapped bubbles and smooth the batter out evenly.
- Bake the cakes approximately 15-18 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out clean. remove the cakes and cool slightly in the pans. Turn out onto cooling racks and cool completely before icing.
- Ice each layer evenly, and the top and sides… chill for a bit to set the icing and before cutting. I hope you enjoy this version! -Scotty