RISE & SHINE KAUT43 OKC
Well, we still aren't ready to do any cooking on Rise & Shine, but that isn't stopping me from bringing something delicious to eat and a recipe for you guys to try at home!
This week I'm celebrating the start to autumn, a much cooler week forecasted by Emily, and bringing out the crock-pot to stick on the coffee table. It's an easy recipe, rich and delicious!
I'll also be talking about a piece I wrote for Oklahoma Magazine coming out this November, about a fantastic new "Chop Room" in Nichols Hills Plaza called Saint Mark's Chop Room. Delicious food, beautiful laid back ambiance, and a menu that will knock your socks off. Carnivores only!
So, speaking about beef and carnivores, let me introduce to you my easy breezy crock-pot version of Beef and Barley Soup. Cooler nights are happening this week, and this soup definitely hits the spot! If waiting around for the crock pot doesn’t meet your schedule, go ahead and cook on your stove top as you would any other soup until the meat is tender and the barley is cooked. Enjoy!
2 pounds beef stew meat
2 quarts unsalted beef broth
2 cups water
2 cups shredded carrots, 3-4 large carrots
2 cups shredded potato, squeezed dry (I use Yukon Gold)
1 cup diced celery, 2-3 ribs
1 cup diced yellow onion
5 cloves fresh garlic, smashed and chopped
1 large Bay Leaf
1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
grapeseed oil for browning
- In a heavy bottom skillet, add a shallow amount of oil and heat until it shines. Sprinkle The Roast Beast seasoning all over the stew meat making sure it is covered on all sides. A handful at a time to not overcrowd the pan, add the stew meat and brown. Remove the browned meat and add another handful or two until all the meat has been browned. Remove the meat and pour off the excess oil.
- Place the pan back onto the heat and add the two cups of water to deglaze the pan. Scrape up all the cooked on bits from the bottom of the pan and cook to reduce the liquid . Turn off the heat.
- In your crockpot add the browned stew meat, along with the deglaze. To that add the beef broth, bay leaf, garlic, celery, and onion. Slow cook for six hours.
- An hour before you’re ready to serve, add the shredded carrots, potatoes, and barley. Cook for one hour.
- Taste for any additional seasonings and add In The Kitchen With Scotty “The Roast Beast” or salt and black pepper.