RISE & SHINE KAUT43 OKC
So I was going to tell you guys the premise of this week’s In The kitchen With Scotty segment of “Rise and Shine” was all about school starting and that I have a great quick breakfast for those kiddos bolting out of the door… Homemade Bagels!!
Well, If I’m honest… the real reason we’re making Everything Bagels this week is that I had a craving. Like a last-minute, I’m tired of eating salads, I need bread, FEED ME SEYMOUR! (If you know the reference you’re awesome!), kind of craving. So it happened… joyfully, it happened!
I know it may seem like a lot of work on the outside, but even me.. who has zero patience when it comes to baking (the time it takes to make the dough, proof the dough, shape and then bake.) this was really a piece of cake! Or bagel!
Very little ingredients for the actual bagel, one-hour proof time, you can choose what your “Everything” will be, and the final payoff of a chewy, dense, flavorful baked good is immeasurable. Plus, it really is convenient for kids to grab on the way out of the door for a quick breakfast!
Homemade Everything Bagel: Makes a dozen small bagels
For The Bagel
3 1/2 cups Bread Flour
2 1/4 teaspoon Active Dried Yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 1/3 cups warm water (100-105 degrees)
For The “Everything” (MY Everything does not have to be YOUR Everything )
2 teaspoons Kosher Sea Salt
1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
1 tablespoon Garlic Flakes
1 Tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
1 Tablespoon Plain Sesame Seeds
Egg Wash (1 large egg yolk +1 teaspoon water)
Options: Poppy Seed, Caraway, Chive, Italian Herb, Lemon Pepper, Turbinado Sugar, Cinnamon,
- In your stand mixer’s Large Bowl add the flour, Kosher salt (on one side), Yeast (on the opposite side) and sugar. Attach the dough hook and begin mixing the dry ingredients on low.
- Slowly pour in the warm water and begin mixing the dough. Once everything is starting to come together increase the speed and let the dough hook do the work for you kneading the dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or until the dough ball is nice and satiny.
- Remove the dough and lightly coat the inside of the bowl with cooking oil. Add the dough back to the bowl, cover with a towel or cling film and place in a warm spot for one hour to rise.
- While the dough is rising, actually around the last 15 minutes, go-ahead and place large pot of water onto the stove and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat down to a simmer. Prepare a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Once the dough has risen punch to down to remove all the air and gently work into a solid dough ball once more. Lightly dust a work surface and pour out your dough. Cut 12 even pieces and roll into a ball using the cup of your hand against the work surface. With a finger punch a hole through the center of each dough ball and stretch to about 1/3 the size of the ball. Place the shaped bagel onto your prepared baking sheet. Do all 12.
- Raise the temp of your simmering water back up to a boil. Gently lay 3 to 4 of the bagels into the water, and lightly boil for three minutes in one side, then flipping over to boil on the other side for one minute. Remove the bagel, shaking off the excess water, and place back onto the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix together your egg wash. In another small bowl combine the ingredients for your “Everything”. Brush the tops of the boiled bagel with the egg wash then dip the tops into your “everything” coating the surface. Place back onto the baking sheet.
- Once finished dipping the bagels, place the baking sheet into the oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with Whipped Cream Cheese, honey, butter, jam, or your favorite filling!
Whipped Cream Cheese
Very simple and basic. What you do it is up to you. Below is what I added (fresh herbs), but you can add honey, jam, or fresh berries for a sweeter whipped cream cheese.
8 ounces softened Cream Cheese
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2 large green onions chopped
Fresh basil chopped
- With you mixer start creaming the cream cheese. Add the heavy cream, scrape down your bowl, and mix again.
- Add in the chopped green onion and basil then whip until light and fluffy.
- Remove to a serving dish and serve with your freshly baked bagels. Enjoy!