ITALIAN CREAM CAKE
8 ounces salted butter (I’m not afraid of salted butter in desserts)
2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, separated
1 cup whole buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut
12 ounces softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Toasted pecans and coconut to garnish
- Butter and line the bottom ofthree 9” round cake pans with parchment. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and pale. One at a time add the egg yolks, and mix in well. Add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking soda. Slowly add to the butter and sugar mixture, alternating with the butter milk, until all has been mixed in completely.
- In a clean bowl with a wire whisk or on your electric mixer, whip egg whited to soft peaks. Gently fold in to the cake batter, along with the chopped pecans and coconut.
- Bake in a standard oven for 30-35 minutes or until the cake tester comes clean and you have a nice spring in the center of the cakes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- For the icing, it’s simple: Mix the softened cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Slowly mix in the confectioner’s sugar, and add vanilla. Boom. Done.
- Ice each layer, and on the sides. Garnish the top and sides with toasted pecans and coconut.