FOR THE CRUST:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons fresh Key Lime zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons sweet butter, cubed
- Using a 9x13 baking pan, brush the bottom and sides with melted butter. Fit a piece of parchment paper into the bottom of the pan, and set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor. Add the cubed butter, and pulse the mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Pour the mixture in to the lined pan, and press down evenly. Let it hang out and rest in the fridge while your oven heats to 350 degrees, and you get started on the key lime filling.
- When ready to bake, place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Pull out of the oven and set aside.
FOR THE FILLING:
8 ounces (1 cup) of whole milk Ricotta
4 large eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon lime zest
2/3 cups (6 ounces) fresh Key-Lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
4. While your crust is baking, gather the ingredients for the filling, and begin to whisk the ricotta, sugar, flour, eggs, and salt until smooth.
5. Stir in the Key-Lime juice, and zest, and mix well. Into the warm baked crust the mixture goes. Pour in evenly on top of the crust. Gently place back into the oven, reducing the temperature to 325 degrees.
6. Bake until the center is firm to the touch. about 30 minutes.
7. Let cool a bit, and lift out of the pan gently using the parchment paper. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool down to room temp.
8. Cut into squares evenly, and dust with powdered sugar. Dig in… they’re wonderful!