1 stick butter, cut into pea size pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/4 cup sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 egg yolk
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor combine the flour, sugar, salt, zest, and butter. Pulse until it resembles course parmesan. Add the egg yolk (I like this… adds richness) and 1-2 TBS. of the ice water. Pulse again until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides. If it’s to dry, add more water.
- Pour out onto a floured surface, and kneed a few times to make a smooth ball. Roll the dough out to a 10-11 inch circle. Place the dough on a sheet pan lined with plastic film, and refrigerate at least an hour or more. Overnight works best.
PEACH & HAZELNUT FILLING
*Preheat your standard oven to 425 degrees
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
1 stick butter, cut into pats
6 small or 4 large fresh peaches quartered. I prefer the skin on, but you may peel.
4 ounces lightly roasted skinned hazelnuts roughy chopped.
- In a round heavy non stick oven proof pan (pretty specific, huh?) combine the sugar, water, lemon juice, and vanilla seeds. Begin to cook, stirring around moderately. Start really paying attention when the sugar mixture starts turning a light golden color. Swirl around (carefullythis stuff is HOT) and remove from the heat when it becomes a deep amber color.
- Add the pats of butter a few at a time. It will pop, boil and sizzle. Mix in until nice and smooth, and you have a nice caramel sauce.
- Arrange your peaches in the caramel… once again, carefully. Make it attractive, because the bottom will be the top once baked.
- Pull out your dough, and place it on top of the filling, tucking in the sides. Brush the top with the egg wash. (Yes I know this will be the bottom of the dessert, but it pains me not to brush pastry without an egg wash or milk)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden and flaky. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Carefully, place a plater onto of the pan, face down of course, and flip the tarte tatin over allowing to fall out on top.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream…. or Ice Cream!