For The Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks unsalted) butter
1 cup boiling water
2 heaping tablespoons Black Onyx cocoa powder
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup whole buttermilk
2 large eggs, room temp
- In a sauce pot begin melting the two sticks of butter. Add both cocoa powders, and mix in smooth. Pour in the boiling water, bring entire pot to a boil for about a minute
- Have a large mixing bowl ready to go wait the flour, sugar and More Than Pumpkin Pie Spice blended together. After the chocolate and boiling water mixture had boiled, put the entire contents into the dry ingredient bowl. Hand mix with a wooden spoon until smooth and lump free.
- Mix together the buttermilk, beaten eggs, almond extract, and baking soda together. Pour in to the cake batter and and mix in smooth.
- Pour and scrape the rich batter into a large jelly roll pan, ungreased, and smooth out evenly with a spatula. Knock the pan onto the counter to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the center is fully cooked. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before icing. Now let’s knock out this frosting real quick.
For The Frosting
14 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon Black Onyx cocoa powder
1 pound powdered sugar
6-7 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped roasted pistachio nuts ( I recommend pulsing in the food processor)
In a sauce pot melt the butter, and add the cocoa powders. Mix in smooth. Add the powdered in batches and mix smooth. Add the heavy cream and mix more, while still over the het.. the heat keeps the frosting “loose”. Once the cake is out of the oven and rested 10 minutes per the icing on and smooth out evenly. Sprinkle on the chopped pistachio and let set at least 30 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!