WELL.... it seems this section of my website is all about the dessert. I'm not mad at it.
here's a great apple pie I came up with tonight for the final episode of Downton Abbey... because I eat my feelings. It was delicious!
Pate Brisee (pie crust)
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons of sugar
• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 5 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 5-6 tablespoons ice water water
- In a food processor add the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the butter and shortening, and pulse until pea sized crumbs.
- slowly drizzle in the water while using, adding enough until the dough rolls into a ball and pulls away from the sides. Remove, roll into a smooth ball, and flatten slightly in plastic film. Refrigerate 30 minutes-one hour
- On a floured surface roll out to 1/4” thickness. Tuck loosely into a deep pie dish, trim, and crimp the edges.
1 prepared pie crust ( see above or buy a prepared crust.)
5 cups medium thick (about 1/4 “) sliced baking apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 granulated sugar
2 teaspoons In The Kitchen With Scotty “More Than Pumpkin Pie” Spice (Or any apple pie spice blend from the grocery store.... but mine is better ;-) )
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
small pinch of Kosher salt
3 tablespoons flour
- In a bowl, toss the apples slices wit all of the ingredients, coating completely. I like to let set about 30 minutes so the apples macerate and release their juices. The mixture thickens slightly.
- Pour the apple mixture into your deep dish pie plate. smooth out evenly.
1 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 butter, room temp
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and both sugars. Mix in well.
- Add the room temp butter in pieces, and cut in with a fork, or rub in with your hands. Do so until your have a nice crumbles mixture.
- Pour on top of the pie covering it in entirety. Bake the pie 375 degree for around 50 minutes until (In my bed Dolly Parton in Steel Magnolia;s voice…. “Gooooolden bubbly.” )
- Remove from the oven to cool. Serve with a great homemade or bought vanilla bean ice cream and I will love you forever!