So I had a taste for something lemony. I had a taste for something sweet and lemony. The weather in Oklahoma has been cool, grey, and autumn-esq, so I needed a little sunshine in my life. LEMON CAKE!
1 cup (2 sticks) room temp unsalted butter
2 1/4 cup All Purpose flour
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs room temp
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons lemon zest (use a micro planer)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare and line two 9" round cake pans with butter and bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand-held mixer, begin creaming the butter for one minute. Add the sugar and beat until smooth and light. Add eggs one at a time and mix completely. Scrape down the bowl bottom and sides.
- Add the vanilla and lemon juice to the milk. Alternating with the bowl of dry ingredients, begin mixing the milk mixture and the flour mixture into the butter and egg mixture. Mix until all is fully combined. Add the fresh lemon zest and mix that in too.
- Separate and pour out the batter equally into both prepared cake pans. Tap on your work surface to release bubbles and settle the batter evenly.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool 15 minutes. Flip the cakes out onto a cake rack to cool completely.
- Ice both layers as desired with my Lemon Mascarpone Buttercream Icing.
Lemon Mascarpone Buttercream Icing
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
16 ounces mascarpone cheese
4 - 4 1/2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
juice from one large lemon (around 2-2 1/2 tablespoons)
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream the butter with a hand or stand mixer. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix in until smooth. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and mix to completion.
- Add the lemon juice with vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
- Ice that beautiful cake you just made and enjoy!
- Please lick the bowl.... and the beaters... and your fingers.