This recipe makes a lot of this delicious popcorn. Trust me… it goes fast. Enjoy!
6 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup popcorn kernels
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 ½ cup brown sugar
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
Don't forget to stop by the "SHOP" section of this website to purchase any In The Kitchen With Scotty handcrafted sauces and spice blends that you may need for this recipe. Happy Cooking, and thank-you for supporting my small business! -Scotty
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Grab the largest sheet pan you have (and you may have to use the pan more than once), spray with whatever vegetable spray you have, and set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pan or dutch oven, begin melting/heating the coconut oil. Add the popcorn kernels and cover. Just like with Jiffy Pop Popcorn, swirl and keep the oil and corn moving while heating... This helps to prevent burning. After awhile you’ll start to hear the pop pop pop of your popcorn. Keep moving and swirling, and pop that corn. When the pops stat to slow down remove from the heat, keep swirling until the popping stops. Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl or large roasting pan. set aside.
- In a sauce pan start making your caramel. Melt the butter, and add the brown sugar. Stir to combine, and let the brown sugar and butter cook and thicken. Cook around five minutes. Slowly and in batches, add the soy sauce. This will bubble up and steam so watch your hands! Once all the soy has been added, mix with a wooden spoon and cook another 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the entire pan or bowl of the popcorn. With your spoon or rubber spatula, gently toss and coat the popcorn. Go down to the bottom and bring the popcorn up to the surface to ensure all the popped corn is coated.
- Transfer the popcorn to the prepared sheet pan in one even layer. Transfer to the oven and bake 30 minutes; this bakes and sets the coating. Stir once at the 15-minute mark to ensure even baking.
- Remove from the oven and cool. With a metal spatula or your hand, lift and cruel the caramel corn into a bowl or airtight container. Keep covered if you haven't eaten it all in one sitting.