Warm bread boats filled with melted cheese and topped with an oven poached runny egg
A soft yeast bread boat or stuffed round, filled with melted cheese with or without a soft egg in the center for dipping. Serve warm! This would make a great breakfast or brunch item!
Thanks to Facebook friends Nathan who is Tbilisi Georgia visiting and eating/drinking his way through, and Braden for suggesting to Nathan that he should try a national treat called Khachapuri (Khaaa-Chaaaa-Puri). A special shout out to Google and YouTube for showing me what and how this deliciousness gets created.
Please enjoy my version of Khachapuri
2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups grated muenster cheese
1 cup crumbled feta
4 tablespoons chopped garlic chive or green chive
1 large egg white
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 or more large eggs to bake on the Khachapuri
- Begin preheating your pizza stone (if you have one) in a 500 degree oven. If not prepare a flat cookie/sheet pan. Combine the water, butter, and milk, and begin heating. Too hot of liquid will kill the yeast, so warm to around 110-115 degrees to be safe. Measure out the flour.
- In a bowl combine the yeast and sugar ,along with a bit of the warmed liquid. Stir to mix and add 4 tablespoons of your flour to get the ball rolling on the yeast. Set aside and let the mixture get bubbly and frothy.
- In another bowl combine the shredded and crumbled cheeses. Add the chopped chive and hand toss to combine evenly. Yes, use your CLEAN hands. Mix together the egg white and heavy cream, and pour that into the cheese. Mix again to completely moisten (ugh.. that word), then set aside.
- Once the yeast mixture is frothy add the rest of the milk/water solution and mix. Make a well its the center of your flour, and pour all of the liquid and yeast into the center. Start mixing in the flour, then when the dough starts forming use those clean hands of your to start needing the dough in the bowl. The dough should be soft and sticky. Add a little love oil in the bowl to coat the bottom and prevent the sticky dough… from sticking. Cover the bowl with a damp warm dish towel, and set the bowl in a warm place to rise.
- Once doubled in size remove the dough to a floured surface. Gut the dough in half for larger Khachapuri, or in quarter for more individual size. Roll the pieces out into a circle, about 1/4 inch thick. fold in two opposing sides to form a border, and to shape the dough into a rectangle. Fill with a generous amount of cheese into the center and spread out to the side edges, leaving around 2” border embody on the top and bottom. Bring the top and bottom sides together and pinch/twist the ends. Brush the butter edges with an egg wash, and transfer to the pizza stone in your oven… or on a prepared pan. Bake 14-16 minutes until golden brown and the cheese melts. crack and egg in the center and place back in the oven to set and cook.. about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve up immediately. You want the bread and cheese to be warm and the egg runny for dipping. So delicious!