For one large whole fresh trout(serves 2)
1- 1½ pound whole trout , cleaned and scaled(I used a golden trout)
2 leeks, white section cleaned and julienned
1 large finger fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
3 tablespoons fresh unsalted butter, plus extra
1 large lemon, 3 1/4”slices removed
August Mayo, a spoonful or three
Don't forget to stop by the "SHOP" section of this website to purchase any In The Kitchen With Scotty handcrafted sauces and spice blends that you may need for this recipe. Happy Cooking, and thank-you for supporting my small business! -Scotty
- Begin preheating your outdoor grill or oven to 380-ish degrees. Clean prepare your fresh whole trout accordingly. If you are unsure how to do thiskindly reference YouTube (I’m sure Escoffier would not mind) or have your fish-monger or meat specialist prepare for you.
- Tear off two long pieces of aluminum foil, longer than your trout leavening ample room at the ends to fold, and ample width to tent and wrap when ready to cook.
- Rub butter along the inside center , where your trout will be laying, section of the foil. Sprinkle a little Cook’s line in the center on the butter. Lay your trout on its side, skin down, and open the center flap. Sprinkle the inside with more Cook’s Line seasoning, and a bit of fresh zest from your uncut lemon. Fill the cavity with the julienned leeks and ginger. Add the Italian Parsley and fresh mint in generous amounts.
- Sprinkle the outside of the trout with more Cook’s Line, and shingle the three sliced of fresh lemon on top. Dot each lemon slice with a good pinch of fresh butter.
- Bring the wide sides together into a peak above the trout. fold the flaps together to vent. Fold in the ends as well to fully envelop your trout. Leave ample room for strum and heat to circulate.
- Place on the grill not directly over a flame. Ona middle rack or top rack is ideal. If multiple racks are not an option, decrease the number of lit burners on a gas grill, or move around the briquettes in a coal fire grill.
- Cook on the grill approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove and let stand around 5 minutes. Carefully open the aluminum foil , allowing the remainder of hot steam to escape. This makes a great table presentation.
- Carefully lift the two fillets from the feathery bones of the trout and plate. Add jus from the pouch, and August Mayonnaise on the side. Enjoy the heck out of this!