This recipe comes to you via the three over riped banana in the bottom of my fruit bowl. And chocolate.
2-3 ripe bananas, mashed
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temp
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
turbinado sugar for the top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and generously butter the inside of a 9x5 inch loaf pan
- In a mixing bowl of your stand mixer or a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the two eggs one at a time and mix in completely, along with the vanilla.
- While that's going on combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Give a good mix. Place the chocolate in a microwavable bowl, and in 20-second blasts, melt the chocolate in the microwave. Remove the chocolate when it’s just soft.. not completely melted.
- Add a little of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and begin mixing gently just to combine. Add half of the mashed banana and a splash of the heavy cream… mix to combine. Continue the process until all mixed and you have a thick muffin-like batter.
- Scoop out 1 cup of the batter and add it to the soft warmed chocolate. Hand mix completely until you have a nice smooth chocolate batter.
- In your generously buttered loaf pan, add a smooth layer of the banana batter. Scoop out to spoonfuls of the chocolate batter and add on top, finally filling in with the banana batter and the chocolate batter. With a bamboo skewer, a knife, a wooden chopstick from to go Chinese food, or anything else you can find, start making figure 8 swirls into the batter. Placing you instrument all the way to the bottom of the loaf pan and swirling figure-eight patterns produces the "marbling" effect.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of the batter for extra crunch and sweetness, then place the loaf pan in the oven. Bake slowly for 1 hour and 5-10 minutes, or until your tried and true cake baking “doneness” stick comes clean.
- Let the loaf cool before slicing…. and enjoy!